My babies aren't babies anymore...

I have done many things in my life, but nothing has made me more prouder than being a mommy. Until I became a mother, I never knew I could love with such strength, protect with such power, smile with such happiness and laugh with such joy. Parenting is far from easy and full of imperfect moments but I thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to be their mommy while I can. They will always be my babies, even as time goes by and they grow older. 
It's ineveidable. My babies aren't babies anymore. Every once in a while I get a little sad and weary. My "babies" are cute when they are good and look grown when they are serious. Why am I feeling sad when my "babies" are being more mature? Or even more so when they ask me to snuggle, cuddle, love and/or just hold them, I feel like if vapor will take them away (not really, hypothetically). 
They're growing up too fast. They are no longer my "babies". They are my 5 and 8 year old children. I look at my kids and I am constantly amazed at the changes I see in them daily. I don’t know when it happened? I'm confused. It just happened so very fast. There are no more cribs in our house!  They share bunk beds but even now, my daughter is talking about having her own room soon. Each time I think about these... changes... these new things-- I kinda feel sadness creeping up. 

So... Now what? All I can do now is, let them be. I am going to savor these precious  moments. If it makes me a little sad, that’s ok. I am going to let myself look at them gently and still see my "babies’" eyes looking back at me no matter how old they get. I have decided to embrace what is coming next. I am ready to be the mom with "those two kids" instead of the mom with "those two babies." I am going to let them enjoy their independence knowing that there will always be times even when they are adults, they will need their mommy and I will always be there for them no matter what.  Although neither one of them are young enough to be considered a baby, in my heart they will always be my babies, forever.

Comments

Popular Posts