This parenting thing -- isn't easy.

“God said, ‘My presence will go with you. I’ll see the journey to the end.’” Exodus 33:14 
As parents, we live transparently. We have too. Our children teach us this throughout our whole life of parenting. Believe it or not, being transparent isn't something most people are comfortable with, but when one is, it sheds new light. 

Parents often wonder why we do what we do, without thinking... I know I do. Sometimes-- well most times, it's not premeditated, it's just thrown together like a blob of clay you've finished playing with. 

Some may ask how we do what we do. Pshhhh, I don't even know?! Unless your a parent, you get exactly what I'm saying. You get that life as a mom kinda, well, hurts. Everyday. Not a pain hurt. More of a worry hurt. Worry if you did something right. Worry that they didn't see right through you when they asked you a question and you answered (with a blank face) with only what they wanted to hear, just to make them happy. Worry that they will grow up and know what you said and what you did all along was bs. A kind of hurt that sends you to your room with tears after they said something that hurt you especially when they think you're wrong and they're right. A hurt that leaves you wondering if you're even meant for this parenting thing. But it's ok. Because in the end, we're doing it right. We're doing it because it's not time for them to understand quite yet. We're doing it because we care and don't want them growing up naive and bitter and selfish and ungrateful. We're doing it because we love them and after all is said and done, they know we're right and have their best interest at heart. We're doing it because we're parents ad parents are bulletproof and know our children are the next generation to live in such a world full of hate and ungratefulness. 

So even now, when I think I've done a horrible job at parenting that day, I look back at reality and realize, I'm training them and paving the road for their future. This is when I can look into my children's eyes, with a smile (not hurt) and see God looking back at me with the same smile saying "You're welcome!" That's when I know, even though he may bring me through tests, I overcome and in the end, it's all worth it. After all, that's what parenting is all about. No one said it was going to be easy. 

Comments

Popular Posts