Note to self... I'm not what they think I am.

Can I just enjoy my kids without stares and questions...? Lol. No I am not their sister. Yes I look like I'm 19. No I'm not on welfare. Yes I'm Latina. No my kids don't have different dads. Yes I graduated high school, and college and graduate school. No I'm not their sister I'm their mother! Now leave me alone! Makes me chuckle... hehehe.
You see, I got pregnant at 19 an had my first at 20 years old. This makes us exactly 20 years apart. Whoooo hooooo for me! But the “young mom” thing, or really, people’s reaction to the young mom thing, has been wearing on my nerves.
The world is different. Women have a lot more choices than they did 20 years ago. With liberation however, came the expectation that these new and hard-fought for choices had to be chosen over getting married and having a baby. Anything else is an insult to feminism. Paaleeeasee. Apparently when 40 became the new 30, 20 became the new 10. 
Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but I like being a young mom. Aside from still having the energy to chase after a 5 year old and brawl it out with my 8 year old, I can still bend at the knees without pain. I have a statistically higher chance of living long enough to get to know my grand kids. Sure when you were my age you were out clubbing, but when I’m your age, my kid will be in college and I’ll be laying on a beach in Cancun getting my tan on. 
I’m not criticizing the choice to wait to have kids. I know a lot of older moms who are awesome mothers. And I don’t think waiting until you’re in your 40s is the wrong choice, BUT the moms who are truly happy with waiting  PLEASE don’t judge younger moms for not waiting.
We are, after all, the most educated generation in American . Quit hating on a young mother who is clearly doing a better job than you. The younger one is considered "cool and hip." We are, after all,  the most educated generation in American history, we soon will compose 50% of the workforce,   and we volunteer more than any other generation.
So before you judge a young mother, look at all the facts first. Can we stop judging young mothers on sight? Lumping together all teen parents as reckless and childish? That would be nice. It might even make life a little better for their children.. Because my children are listening to all your ridiculous questions, looking at you like you're crazy especially when they see no difference between my age and yours. All they see is their mother. The one who they look up too and who they don't pass judgment on. The only one who cares about their well being more than you.  The one who is writing this to say, I am just as good of a mother as you, maybe even better. 

Comments

Popular Posts