Sibling Rivalry

"Stop telling me what you hear on the radio, I can hear it too you know, I'm listening to the same radio station you are!!" says my 6 1/2 yr old daughter to her 4 yr old brother.

This is my daughter being a smart ass to her little brother this morning on my way to drop them off at school. Although they have a close relationship, that close relationship also causes friction like any relationship. It's funny because she always finds a way to pick on him and all he wants to do is be her little brother (literally). He looks up to her and follows her every move. When he was old enough to sit up, he would follow her with his eyes and call out to her with his little babbling and cooing talk. This girl has no idea how much he loves her but because she's a big sister, it is her job to pick on him for the rest of his life.

"I don't want to play with you and your hot wheel cars all day, I am a girl you know, I need to play with Girly things too!"

This is another one of her fav quotes to say to her brother when she doesnt get her way with him even though she "makes" him play with her Barbies (monster high), stuffed animals and mommy daddy games, all the time, she doesn't see that it needs to be equal. Poor baby boy, he is always down to playing "Girly" things with her but when he asks ever so often to play with his "boy" toys, she has a fit. Don't get me wrong, she will play cars and kitchen and puzzles but I think she enjoys it so much it scares her.

"You love him more than you love me. You gave him two kisses and an extra hug, but I had only one" (new posting)

Oh the jealousy for me between these two, it's never ending. I have to make sure that I give love, affection an attention to both in the same way or else! My daughter was the first born (new posting), she was applied for her first 2 1/2 years of life with it only being her. She had to slowly learn to give a part of me up... Not literally but the word is "share." Sharing is somethig hard for all kids to understand which is why I work with them each different yet the same. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean mothers. :-) Being the only child (new posting), I never had to share, so it is a new experience for me. Although my children fight, they actually love more. It's a 60/40 kinda thing and sibling rivalry will never go away. That's where the fun is at.

Comments

Popular Posts