Grandparents day... Another first in the books.

Today, Sept. 7, is Grandparents Day. The holiday, signed into law by President Carter in 1978, honors the many contributions grandparents make to our lives. I hope families celebrate these important people every day of the year. But I also think it's nice to set aside one special day to really examine how grandparents impact one's upbringing. 
 
Wish I could take the hurt away... My daughter didn't even want to go to school bc it would be unfair to see others with their grandpa's and hers wouldn't be there. They wished so hard for him to be there today but knew that it was not reality and I'm so proud they both made it through. Continue to keep them in your prayers as it's been an extremely rough 1st year without him in their lives.
This was there second time at Bo's Place. One of my best friends referred me and my kiddos here.
Bo's Place is a non-profit organization offering free grief support services for children and their families who have experienced the death of a parent or sibling.
Bo’s Place was founded and operates on the belief that it is helpful and healing for grieving children and adults to share their stories, memories, experiences, thoughts, and feelings with other grieving children and adults. Bo’s Place offers the only free on-going grief support program in the greater Houston area for children and their families.
Part of the operating philosophy at Bo’s Place is:
  • Grief is a natural reaction to the death of a loved one.
  • The duration and intensity of grief are unique for each individual.
  • In a safe and supportive environment, people have a natural capacity to heal.
  • Moving through the grief journey is not about letting go; it is about finding ways to incorporate memories of the deceased and their legacy into one’s life so that over time the loss is less painful.
  • Essential to the work of Bo’s Place is a guiding belief that the support group environment can be a source of empathy, understanding and encouragement to grieving children, adults, and their families during a very difficult time in their lives.
Tonight my son came to me after I told him to change into his Pj's and said "Look Momma, I'm Papu!". He was wearing his shirt as PJ's, Papu's reading glasses and a towel over his shoulder just like he used to do. At this point, I was on the verge of breaking down. Until I found my daughter already asleep, holding her "Papu Penguin", I litereally melted. I was surprised the battery has lasted as long as it has (thankful for buildabear), because honestly, as many times as she played the recording of her papu's voice that night, I was sure it was going to die out.
Even though months have passed by, it seems like just yesterday my daddy was playing with my kids. He left such an impact on their lives and I know he is smiling down at them seeing how much he meant to them.

Comments

Popular Posts