Impetigo what???

Ugh! Yes this is my daughters leg and it's pretty disgusting. It started with a tiny scab and ended up spreading to this... I am grateful that the doctor gave us some answers for my sweet princess bc she had no idea how it happened and this mommy had no idea how to help her. 
I keep thinking back... that in those last precious moments that M was inside me, before labor began, her skin was pure and unspoiled, untouched by any kind of ugly bacteria, protected by my womb. But then, her doctor reminded me that-- as she entered this world, her skin picked up organisms from my birth canal that I could not control. Over the next week, these hitchhikers gradually multiplied. Within 10 days, their descendants covered every nook and cranny of M's skin. By and large, these quiet bacteria make good neighbors. M and the bacteria peacefully coexist, and the stable colonies of bacteria even help keep down the population of more aggressive intruders. This is what having a child is like. I know you mother's and father's feel me on this one. We can't protect them from everything. We can't keep them in our little bubble of safeness. Once we bring them into this world, it is our job to then to the best we can to protect them, whether it be serious or not. In this case, it was pretty serious and my instincts led me straight to find answers to my unaswered questions.
Impetigo is a strange-sounding word that might be new to you. Well, it was definitely knew to this mommy right here. I had no idea what this was and was extremely nervous because it looked pretty bad after only a few days of her having it. Impetigo is an infection of the skin and because I knew nothing about this infection (I am no nurse), I treated it like a scrape. Apparently, if you have a cut or scrape or if you scratch your skin because of a bug bite, eczema, or poison ivy, germs may find a way to get inside. Once inside, the bacteria cause small blisters to develop on the skin. These blisters burst and ooze fluid that crusts over, a condition called impetigo.
This is what the doctor told me my daughter had. This photo isn't half as bad to what it looked like in person. Today, it's completely clear and her knee/leg seems as though nothing was there. What a weird infection. I'm glad we caught it before it started to spread... And now, I am one step closer to knowing everything. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts