My First Born... 2006

Chapter 1:
It was July 16, 2006 at midnight when I felt my first contraction. I just hit 37 weeks. Because she was my first child, I made sure that I was knowledgeable about the pregnancy and birth. I went by the book and did everything the doctor had told me. Even though my hospital bag was ready, I was not. I was worried as to why I was not going all the way to my 40 week mark. It was known that before 39 weeks, the baby would be pre-mature and I wanted to make sure my baby was healthy.

I was dating her father for over a year when we decided that we knew the consequences of having unprotected sex. I can remember the night we conceived like it was yesterday. It was October 12, 2005. How do I know this, not only did the doctor notify me but I remember that date because it was the week and weekend of the father’s birthday. J

When we found out we were excited and decided that it was time to grow up. Even though I believe I grew up much faster than him, I know men take time. And because of this, I was afraid to tell my parents. I didn’t want to disappoint them. After all, I was on my second year in college and I didn’t want them to think I was going to give it all up. Soon enough, we told my parents and all though they may have been surprised, they would never change it for the world.

My eating habits were pretty easy throughout my pregnancy. As I read daily, the “What to expect when you’re expecting” bible, I was in line and was progressing correctly and healthily throughout my pregnancy. Every morning I had to have, cherrio’s with poured honey and every night I had to have rocky road ice-cream. I started at 105 lbs and gained 25. I wanted to make sure baby was healthy. I took my first birthing and breastfeeding class at the hospital with Jas and my mom as assistant breathing coach and it was super fun! I have so many pics that I too throughout my pregnancy so I could share with her as she grew older. I would sing her lullaby’s, read her story’s and sleep with Mozart playing at night.
My baby shower was a huge success! My mom definitely out did herself. It was co-ed and so much fun and it was the night I felt my first Braxton hick’s contraction. Man, those were some painful moments. The night I felt my first actual going into labor contraction was after a long walk. I know this may sound gross, but around midnight, I had the first sign of labor exit my body... the brown mucous. I called the nurse line and she told me to wait and count my contractions since they were so far apart. Sure enough, nothing happened. I slept all morning until I went to the restroom for my first morning piss and viola, a gush of water hit my panties as I stood up. It was time!

We got to the hospital and they admitted me to my own private room around noon July 17, 2006. I was extremely nervous and was still determining if I wanted an epidural or just to man up and have it all natural. The nurse then to my surprise after checking for dilation told me I was not even dilated yet and that my water had not completely broken. I went through a list of questions. They allowed me to wait to see if they needed to induce me since some of the water came but because the sack had not completely popped they were thinking of sticking a tool up my vajayjay to completely break it. Several nurses told me that I would be here for a while and my labor may last hours. I was NOT looking forward to that at all!

This was all in a 15 minute period of time and when I stood to use the restroom after the nurses left, whooshhhh, more water gushed out. This was finally it!

The nurses began prepping but still said it would take a while. At this time it was 20 til 1pm and I was immediately feeling the most painful contractions. They put me on an IV to monitor me and baby. I was then 3 centimeters dilated and they were in no rush to put me on an epidural. BUT I was in so much pain, my poor mother and Jas were looking at me like I was crazy. I can remember it like it was yesterday, screaming and wondering when they were going to give me the damn epidural! The nurses checked to see how much I had dilated and still it was not what they were looking for. A few hours passed, it was now probably 3:45 and I was screaming at the top of my lungs telling everyone I needed to take a “poop” and that I felt like “pushing” something out. The nurses were already annoyed with me pushing the button so many times to come check to see how dilated I was, so they took their time to come in again. After I made Jas and my mom look for the nurses and they finally showed up telling me it wasn’t time yet, I made them check because I literally wanted to take a huge “shit!” As soon as they checked me the nurse ran out of the room and about 5 nurses came back in with her.

They kept telling me “don’t push sweetie, don’t push, the baby is coming, you’re crowning. The doctor is on his way so don’t push just yet!” I remember screaming, “Give me the epidural!!!” I was in excruciating much pain!!! Two nurses moved my mom and Jas out the way and came to my bedside preparing an oxygen mask for me rubbing my hair. I knew they were about to tell me something I didn’t want to hear… And there it was, “It’s too late to administer the epidural because you have fully dilated in short time and baby is on her way out. You have to have her natural and we will help you through it.” Time stopped because true enough, I really wasn’t prepared for this kind of birth but I knew I had no choice.

The doctor finally came in and said “baby wants out I hear and I see you’re strong. We will have her out in no time!” At this point I couldn’t even think. All I remember was being guided what to do as I pushed to every contraction that graced me with its ugly presence. I can say I did the best I could. I heard the nurses whispering ooohs and ahhhs. Doctor Soto grabbed my hands and told me to pull. Sure enough he then finally yelled “4:12pm, It’s a girl!” I saw Jas cut the cord and she was in my arms before I could feel any more pain. I was the talk of the delivery floor. I had delivered via natural birth, a healthy baby, in 4 hours, at 20 years old. It was the most amazing feeling in the world. My life had just begun.


Comments

Popular Posts