How young is too young to send your child to a sleepover???

How do you trust another parent to care for your child?
As a child, I don't remember going to a sleepover until I was about 8 years old. I did have friends sleep over my house when I was in elementary school, but never slept over anyone's house at that age. Call me overly protective, but am I really?
I will no longer be fully responsible for my child. This means, someone else other than me or a family member will be in charge of the responsibilities... overnight... in their home. Doesn't sound like a big deal right? Well, I never thought about it until the day finally came. Now don't get me wrong, they have spent the night away with a family member but I know their habits, their discipline style, their priorities when it comes to caring for children that are not their own, but someone other than that? How would I truly know? Well, this is where trust comes in. I would NEVER leave my children with someone I do not trust.
Which is why I'm writing this to say... my son was invited to a sleepover. He just turned 5. Yea I know. But I know the mom. Kind of. Her son and mine shared the same classroom throughout daycare and pre-school. They come to every party. We go to every one of his. I see how she interacts with her son and I believe she does a great job. She is a single mother and I commend her for that. I know it is not always easy but my son and her son share the same qualities and most importantly, they get along great.
So... How do you know when your child is old enough to sleep over at a friend's house without you? Well... You don't. You just go with your instinct. And being a mother, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I wouldn't have let him stay the night if I wasn't comfortable enough even if I was slightly questionable.
But he was fine. As soon as I met up with her at her house, she allowed me to come in and get the feel of her home, where they will be sleeping, what they would be doing and reassuring me that I could call anytime as she would make sure he would call me as well if he felt he needed too. He didn't waste anytime. He walked in there like he owned the place and kissed me goodbye as he walked away to play with his friends. She sent me photos of them throughout the night and early morning on their way to the movies. I appreciated that. I know I would do the same if it were me who was taking full responsibility for another mother's place for the night. I knew he was in good hands. Ask me if I will allow it again..? Maybe not yet. Give it some more time, I think once for this year was good enough. Hehehe.
My little Captain America

Comments

Popular Posts