We believe in the toothfairy in this house... And i'm rethinking thatchoice.

      Should my 8 year old believe in the toothfairy? Or is she too old for this fairytale myth? Hear me when I say, my daughter is a believer of many mythical fairytales. Not because we have placed it in her little mind, but because, she has embraced it for herself. I do believe however, that the media and of course, us as her parents, kept that fairytale alive, however we are not enforcing it.
        One evening after she had lost the million tooth, (hypothetically), she placed it under her pillow with such joy that I had forgotten to replace the tooth that night she was asleep. She woke up calling out to me the next morning and told me that the toothfairy didn't make it last night. There were no questions, if's and's or buts about it. This is when I decided, "this may be the right time to tell her that there is no such thing as the tooth fairy..." Wait for it... wait for it! --- 
        She then, so willingly made up an excuse for the toothfairy and gave a reason why she didn't pick it up. She was sure that the toothfairy missed the house. She attempted again that night and placed the tooth back under her pillow. That night, again, I did not wake up to replace it with money. She woke up in the middle of the night calling out to me again, saying that she had to use the restroom but she had seen a "glimpse" of the toothfairy. She said that this time she was the cause of the toothfairy not taking her tooth, because she interupted her by needing to use the restroom. Sure enough, she realized that the toothfairy was real and went on about startling her and will never do it again. She explained how beautiful she was in a glowing white fress filled with pixy dust and glitter. She was so excited that she fell back asleep. Whew... What was that about? Did she really see the toothfairy?      
        My own daughter gave me the chills because she was so sure that the toothfairy was in her room but she didn't finish her duty because she was so rudely interupted. After that, I remembered to wake up and replace the tooth with a dollar bill. I even sprayed glitter just because she made the story of the toothfairy so believeable, I even believed it. To this day, my 8 year old still believes and gets very excited explaining the story to all her family and friends about how she saw this beautiful toothfairy that is very much real. Is she?

Comments

Popular Posts