Flu blues...

A night in the ER. Ugh! 
I knew my son wasn't feeling well as he was not himself all day. He is the hyper-active, playful, fun silly type where there is never a "dull" moment. But today, something came over him. As he laid there on the sofa, curled in a ball after he barely touched his breakfast and lunch, I realized something was wrong. I immediately asked him but he wouldn't answer. That morning seemed to be going so well. He took a shower and was doing fine. I did notice that he was a bit more clingy than other times, but that's my son, he's very clingy to mommy.
As soon as I realized something was wrong, I felt his head and BOOM he was HOT. I ran to grab the thermometer and checked his temp. Sure enough, he had a high temp. I immediately called the doctor because it was too high! I knew everything would be OK because this was not my first rodeo... But I also knew something was wrong inside his little body.
It reminded me of my dad. These were the side effects of the Lymphoma he had. My daughter just finished getting over the flu and she was in a terrible mood and I did not want my son to go through it. Watching my children going through this isn't a pretty sight. Mommy's you know what I'm talking about: Staying up late, waking up every 2 hours to check on them, rotating the medication every 4 hours and putting them in a luke warm bath every 3 hours and spoiling them like baby's...Whew. Even though I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, seeing them stare at you with their nauseated facial expressions and pain in their blood shot eyes from the head pounding headache they get from the high fever is a NO BUENO! Watching my dad go through this almost everyday because of the Lymphoma, wasn't a pretty sight either. It's never a great feeling to watch a loved one not be able to be in control of their body. Oh the joys of being a parent.
So to the emergency room we went. A long night ending in no progression but only medication that made him even more sick to his stomach (Tami-flu). After he was tested via nose swab, it was immediate that he had caught the "flu virus." Let me tell you when I say, I am blessed as my children have never taken a flu shot in their lives (because of the nasty chemicals in them), but all in all, this is the first year they contacted the flu. And it only lasted no more than three days (a normal flu lasts 7 days). I am thankful for that!

Comments

Popular Posts