Smashed Finger... A day in the life of Elijah!

This morning was perfection; I slept in on a Friday. A Friday of no appointments, no kiddos, no school work pending, no worries, no plans made and best of all, Jason took the kiddos to school! It was even college day and the kiddos were ready!! Everything was going well... UNTIL... A mothers worst nightmare.... A phone call from the school nurse! I picked up the phone seeing it was my children's school and all I heard was "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP".. Like from Charlie brown. The person on the phone, then began repeating herself because at this point I was confused as to what she was saying. Finally I heard her say, "It's Nurse Reagan, Ms. Hebert, there has been an accident." My heart dropped. I already knew what she said, I just wanted her to repeat it so maybe I might have heard wrong! BUT, sure enough, it was true. There was an accident... and it involved my son. 
"Your son's finger got smashed in the door, he's bleeding a lot, his nail may fall off soon and he's very traumatized. Daddy and Mommy need to come asap! But I am taking good care of him until you arrive. It appears as though he was using the restroom and a little boy smashed his finger on accident going in after him. The teacher will be here when you come pick him up but he needs to go to the hospital to make sure there are no broken bones."
At this point, I was in shock. Jason just dropped him off! I literally jumped up and we went in separate cars. Why? Well, Jason had a dental appointment at 11am and it was already 8:45am. By the time we arrived at the school, it was 9:30. We talked to the nurse, she explained what had happened again by Elijah telling her his story. I asked to speak with the teacher because I wanted to know where she was during all of this. I understand accidents happen and I understand that she can not watch every single child at once. But, I'm still a mother and I need to know. 
I walked up to Elijah and he had this huge smile on his face, "mommy!!!" I had a tear that I had to suck up literally because I wanted him to know how brave he was. He looked at me and started telling me the story of what happened. It all added up and we figured it out. The nurse suggested that I do not look at it because it was pretty bad. I sure did look at it. I was so heartbroken that this could have happened to my baby boy. Well, because daddy had the dental appointment, it was mommy and son visit to the ER day. 
To the Children's Memorial Hermann Emergency we went. He was such a brave little one. He showed all the nurses and told theme exactly what happened. They took X-Rays, and cleaned the wound. We were in and out. Believe it or not we were only there for two in a half hours! We were then home free! No stitches, no broken bones, and most importantly, NO SHOTS! Lol. The wound will heal itself and his nail will fall off eventually but grow back healthier than before.

Comments

Popular Posts