Being the only child

Being the only child wasn’t what everyone else portrays it to be. Sure, because I was the only child to my parents, they were able to give me everything because they were able too. But I, as the child wanted someone to talk to other than my parents. I wanted to fight and hug and play and scream at my brothers and sisters. I wasn’t fortunate enough to have that. However, in the end, I was fortunate enough to have both parents all to myself. My childhood was great. I was given full undivided attention. 
"Given that about one in five American families now have just one child, this seems like a good time to question the misconceptions about only children and the dangers of raising a child without siblings. For one thing, one-child families make obvious sense in a time of diminishing resources. This may explain recent studies showing that parents who have one child tend to be happier."
http://www.babble.com/dad/debunking-myths-about-only-children/
The best part of all was the memories that I still carry with me and now I am able to share them with my children. I traveled often with my parents. Because they were in a business, I was given the opportunity to travel to different places and experience a lot of rewards.
"The differences between only children and those raised with siblings tend to be positive ones. Ms. Falbo and Ms. Polit examined hundreds of studies in the 1980s and found that only children had demonstrably higher intelligence and achievement; only children have also been found to have more self-esteem. These findings, which have been confirmed repeatedly in recent years, hold true regardless of whether parents of only children stayed together and regardless of economic class."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/only-children-lonely-and-selfish.html?_r=0 

My family threw me a little party at mi casa for my big 2-7! Can you believe it? I can't! I've already been on this earth for 27 years and I have been able to share 7 years of it with my daughter and 4 years of it with my baby boy. Who could ask for more? Not me. I'm super blessed.

I took in my cousin who had no where to go. She is currently pregnant and needed a stable place that would care for her and her baby. It is a huge responsibility but I believe because of being the only child, I enjoy helping others out. It doesn't bother me like it may bother most. it actually keeps me more busy and my children will be able to experience the new experiences with me. I made my son's room into her room now and the kiddos will be sharing a room and play room. They are totally excited about that. My cousin was so nice, she made dinner, cake and invited family members over to celebrate with me. It was just perfect. Being the only child may have been hard while growing up, but it definitely has its perks and I am grateful for all that I have now. 

Read this article: 
21 Truths About Being An Only Child
http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/21-truths-about-being-an-only-child/

Comments

Popular Posts