Categorized? Stereotyped?


Stereotyping young mothers should be frowned upon. Even today, I still receive unpleasant looks from many wondering in their mind, "is she the mother?" "Wow, she's so young"... Placing pity on me. But no thank you, pity has no room next to me, so stop categorizing me. 


When I was pregnant, I walked around with my head held down. Not because I was ashamed but because of what people would say and mumble under their lip. I didn’t want to be judged. In retrospect,  I made a baby and was super excited. A beautiful baby and that was nothing to be ashamed of. 

My daughter was a gift to the world. She was supposed to be here, it was God's plan, not mine. I would also tell myself that it is ok to be excited about being a mommy, and although I was terrified, I became more and more excited as I got closer and closer to the big day. I couldn’t wait to meet my first born (new blog). And now having met her and my youngest, I can't imagine life without them.

I would always (and still do) tell myself not to worry about others and their way of thinking, because at the end of the day, all that matters is my two babies. 

People/strangers- they just didnt get it. They placed me in this mold and stereotyped me as someone who was too young for children. That my dreams would be placed on hold or more so, that I wouldnt have any more dreams. By not continuing my education, life or have a future as young woman who dont have kids should. 

All in all- Sometimes your dreams change a little when you become a mom, only because you’re dreaming for someone else other than yourself. But if anything I learned to dream bigger! And what I loved was that my daughter was able to be a part of it all!  She watched me, her mommy walk across the stage and graduate with my undergrad, and wqs a part of all my endeavors. now my son gets to experience them and watch his mommy (alongside his sister), walk across the stage for my graduate degree and LPC license. And I accomplished all of this with them two by my side. They will never have to feel like I put my dreams on hold because of them, never! If anything I learned what it meant to have my dreams come true and what it meant to strive for a goal and actually reach it. They will now have something to look forward too, reach and accomplish just like their mommy did. I think we all have an opportunity to not only tell our children that they can reach their dreams and career goals when they grow up, but also to show them how and share the experiences with them as they get old enough to understand (never give up). My daughter knows that it wasn’t easy for her mommy, but some of the greatest gifts we have in life didn’t necessarily come easy. But I can say, I'm not the stereotype. I'm the "wow, you amaze me!"

I have come to the conclusion that everyone has their opinion and as long as I know the truth and the struggles I went through to be where I am at, that's all that really and truly matters. 

We must respect the decisions of young mothers

Young women who decide to have children are too often laughed at, disowned and denigrated by the wider community, a profound change in attitudes is needed
A teenage mother and her son




Read Full Article Here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/09/young-motherhood

Comments

Popular Posts