Co-Parenting. You can do it!

When we came to this decision to co-parent for our two children, it helped us mature as young parents. We were able to come to an understanding and agreed what was best for our children. After the courts confirmed who was the custodial and non-custodial parent, we did everything in our power to make sure the children were able to see both parents. Co-parenting wasn’t easy at first and it wasn’t a piece of cake, get along and lets do this kind of ride. We struggled and encountered differences along the way. Many arguments were caused because we were both used to having our children to ourselves, together, united as one family. This was definitely a change, especially for the two little ones. They were not yet used to going over to daddy’s place on the weekends and would actually have a hissy fit and fight to stay with mommy. I was a little selfish myself because my two children haven’t left my side since day one when each was born. They’re father also carried that selfishness and allowed them to stay with me, but what would that give the children? No bonding time with their father. He took advantage of that at times so he wouldn’t have to worry about them crying all night for me.  I’m sure all mothers can understand the pain divorce and separation causes. I also understand that the father’s feel this same pain too; however it was a completely different bond that I shared with my two children. They have always been really close to me because he was always out of town at work, or he left off and on during the relationship, but overall, he was and still is the father.
Co-parenting was completely a whole different world to me. I didn’t want to share the only two lives I brought into this world. I didn’t want to have to sleep without them knowing they were not in the other room sleeping at night. I didn’t want to give up a part of me. I wanted to be there when they fell, so I could kiss their “boo boo.” I wanted to see their little faces when they came up with an intelligent remark and see them grow during those few days they were not with me. They were my life, they are my life but even after that, I thought about what they needed. I knew what I needed but what they needed was more important and crucial to their everyday lives as a human being. I grew to understand that they were going to be ok without mommy. And that’s when we learned that co-parenting was the answer. And now, we are divorced, trying our relationship out again, testing the water and happily, our children have both mommy and daddy in the home. Co-parenting is very important and crucial. When two parents come to an agreement with what’s best for their children, it makes the child/s life easier.

Comments

Popular Posts