Marriage. Is it a forever commitment in todays society?

I commend my parents for reaching their 30 year anniversary of marriage. They have come a very long way and I appreciate that they raised me in a house with both parents. However, in today’s society, is marriage really a lifelong commitment?
My parents met in a church and they became good friends before they started dating. My father was married for 10 years before he and my mother began their journey together. He has five children from his previous marriage, one from his girlfriend and just little ole me from my mother, so that makes 7 of us! My mother had me when she was 36 years old, so I do have the older parents. My mother is 62 and my father is 64 today but I can say that my life was pretty good. Unfortunately, a lot of marriages end and most troubling, children are involved. There wasn’t a time when I didn’t want brothers and sisters but my parents kept my life busy. From traveling to being in extracurricular activities, my life was very pleasant. I am who I am today because of them. From past posts and the about me description, you can see that I had goals I wanted to accomplish and I did but they never left my side. I am now 26 years old and divorced. Me, divorced? Yes. I am divorced. At first I was in denial but when it hit me hard, I realized it was for the best interest of my children. And my children are perfectly fine with the decision that he and I decided to make. It doesn’t mean we don’t love each other anymore. It doesn’t mean that we can’t be committed to each other in a different way. And it certainly doesn’t mean that we can’t make it work as a family because of it.
We all know that in the past, marriage was sacred and commitment was forever. Today, marriages only last so long and children are back and forth parent to parent. That is life as we know it today, but it is not unfortunate for children to live with. It is the norm today and children have learned to adapt with that lifestyle. As long as the children are loved, nurtured and cared for by both parents, they will grow up to be pretty decent human beings (adults). 
Here’s an article that gives more insight: 
Is Divorce Bad for Children? 
The breakup may be painful, but most kids adjust well over time http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-divorce-bad-for-children

Comments

Popular Posts