My gift to the parentals

Saturday June 15, 2013, I threw a retirement brunch/party for my wonderful parents. They have worked extremely had to be where they're at today and I completely look up to them for that. Now I know where all my determination comes from!
My mother was the first from her family to graduate from a University. She would tell me the long night she would stay up studying and all the parties she missed because of it. She even told me that everyone would make fun of her because she didn't have a life besides school. But no matter what was said she still continued her dream of becoming a teacher. She graduated with honors from Texas Southern University in 1983 With her bachelors in bilingual education. Today 2013, she has work 40 years with Houston Independent school District And 37 years as a kindergarten bilingual teacher. I am super proud of my mother she has taught me a lot and that's exactly where I want to be at. She knew what she wanted she went for it and she got it. The only difference between us is, she did it without children I did it with. 
Now my dad was a go-getter and always have to work. He started working at age 10 Selling newspapers. He then took up boxing as a career and went to the Olympics in 1968 with George Foreman by his side. It didn't follow through so he attended the police academy and was there for five years while working a side job at Maxwell House coffee Company. It didn't seem right for him so he decided to go full-time at Maxwell House. He to retired this year 2013, 40 years with Maxwell House coffee. 
It wasn't easy planning it and finding all of their old friends but it was done and it was an awesome turnout! Now my parents are retired home free and ready to move onto the next chapter of their lives. Not to mention, this same month, they've been married for 30 years. These two have a whole lot of accomplishments that I want for myself my children and my family. 

Comments

Popular Posts