I don't need google anymore. Apparently my daughter knows everything.

As kiddos grow, it's true that they need to be free to develop their own interests and ideas, and they need to learn how to express them. They also have to learn where they end emotionally and where their parents begin... what we call "emotional boundaries." At different developmental periods, kids go through a process called separation and individuation. YET, sometimes this process is not very noticeable at all, and sometimes it occurs very intensively. In my case, my daughter is between the two. She can be very dependent in her own ways however, she can also want all the attention in the world and if you don't give it to her, she will her feelings will get hurt.
You see, there are some kids who swear the stove isn’t hot until their fingers get burned. - See more at: http://madamenoire.com/76797/how-to-deal-with-a-child-who-knows-everything/#sthash.UAt0HzAB.dpuf
 There are some kids that don't believe the stove is hot until they get burned. Now whether we as parents, like it or not, we need to allow our children to fail, stepping away from babying them while they hit a few bumps in the road towards where they are going. My daughter will be 8 years old in one month and she thinks she knows everything. But no one knows everything and kiddos need to understand that because to be a successful adult is to be teachable.
“Eat your carrots, they're delicious,” you say. “Ewww.... I don't want to eat that they’re gross!” they respond. 
“Look, this museum is full of beautiful artwork.” “Ugh. I’m bored,” they complain. 
"Remember I told you..." you say. "No you didn't tell me, I would remember something like that" they insist.
"They opened today, let's check it out." you say. "You're wrong. They don't open until next week" they demand.
These admittedly are examples of instances in which you and your child have different opinions on things. Even though we adults know perfectly well that carrots are objectively good, museums are objectively interesting, and you know the dates well enough to know the difference between this week and next. They think they know everything and think they are always right. In my daughter's case, part of this is losing her grandpa. She just hasn't been the same. She is very emotional, grouchy and bossy. But that is okay. I am here for her. I will always be here for her no matter how old she gets. I am here to guide her and to help her understand that the world does not always revolve around her but for her to keep in mind that she will always be a princess for the rest of her life.

Comments

Popular Posts