Young Mami turns 28

So I just turned the BIG 28--Hmmmm? Should I be jumping for joy... literally? Or feel indifferent about this whole age thing? I remember when I walked across that stage for my high school diploma and they told us to envision where we think we would be in 10 years. I never thought I would be where I am at today. At the time I didn't understand the whole 10 year goal mark let alone "think" I would be the woman I am today. DO YOU UNDERSTAND what I am saying? It's surreal. I am at that 10 year mark and I have accomplished so much yet have also taken a different road;
Accomplished:
1. Graduated College on Dec. 2008 instead of May 2008.
2. Had children (two-- boy & girl) before marriage
3. Have my own house (2012)
4. Married in 2007 then Divorced in 2012
5. College & Career Counselor

Not accomplished:
1. FBI Detective
2. PhD by age 28
3. Married with children after accomplished 1 & 2
4. Graduate College with my peers on May 2008
5. Grow old with same friends

Call me selfish but most of my accomplishments weren't on my list of 10 year goals I thought I would have accomplished from high school. In fact they're slightly different. Instead of going to train and Virginia to become an FBI detective I went a different route after I realized I was pregnant with my first child. Being a woman FBI detective with a child didn't sound too responsible at the time. Now I have gained my experience working with low income families and at risk students. My whole mindset changed after having my first child at such a young age and seeing other students going through the same situation, gave me inspiration to motivate the younger generation to continue their education and become more than what they thought they could ever be with a child. 
I may not be an FBI detective now but I am an advocate for young mothers everywhere and that's helping those find themselves. I may not have graduated with my Bachelor's Degree in May with all my other 2008 undergraduate class, however I did it in the same year at a later time. I may not have graduated with a PhD before 28, but I have come a long way graduating with a Master's Degree with two children by my side. I may not have stayed married to the same man, but after our divorce we realized we were so young, our choices took the best of us and we continue to be together to this day (10 years and counting). And I may not have the same friends I thought I would have throughout these years and there are only a hand full that have stuck by my side, the others are history. The ones who have stayed, we have come so far and can each call ourselves "mommy's!" These friends met me for dinner and dancing which was extremely successful.
We had a great time for my birthday and despite the list of accomplishments and failed ones, I am who I am and where I am today because it's exactly where God has placed me to be. I have a purpose, as do each and everyone of you mommy's. I wouldn't trade my accomplishments for the world because this is right where I should be. I couldn't imagine my life without my children, and although I may have traveled down a different road, the road I am on now, has led me to things I never dreamt about and that's the beauty of it all!
Even though I wish everyday that my daddy was here with us, I also know God needed him more than we did. My wish this year is something just for him and my children
My kids are everything I could have ever wished for.
My Wita may be 100 years old, but I'm one lucky woman for her to have made it to my 28th birthday. Love this old lady
Friends since elementary and high school.
Thankful for my dear fransss for all my bday goodies!
Cheers to my new list!
28 Things To Do Before I Turn 30:


1. Write a book about YoungMamiJoi.

2. Publish an Ebook. 

3. Finish my father’s book.

4. Cover my wall with my children’s art work. 

5. Volunteer at an animal shelter. 
6. Eat more fruits & veggies. 
7. Visit Spain, Madrid to learn about my ancestors. 
8. Learn how to ride a motorcycle. 
9. Get an article published in an ad/magazine. 
10. Keep adding money to my savings. 
11. Summit an entry to Parenting Magazine.
12. Spend more time with my kiddos (once graduated). 
13. Graduate with my Master’s Degree and PhD. 
14. Stop watching so much TV. 
15. Read at least 50 books.
16. Kiss under the Eiffel Tower.
17. Take more pictures for memories.
18. Take the stage as a Body Builder.
19. Say "I love you" more often. 
20. Make and sell things I love on Etsy & Ebay. 
21. Create a book with my Instagram photos.
22. Enjoy a cruise with my family.
23. Plan a trip to Hawaii. 
24. Take a tour of the White House.
25. Finish writing a song.
26. Enjoy Universal Studios with my kiddos.
27. Visit Mall of America with my children.
28. Speak at a conference for Young Mothers everywhere.

Comments

Popular Posts