Happy 31st Anniversary Mom and Dad.

 Today will be a difficult day for my mother. I can't even imagine her heartache as I am hurting too. But to lose a husband and to have to celebrate an anniversary without him by her side is unfathomable. My parents were married for 30 years before my dad's passing. This time last year, I was making plans for their retirement/wedding anniversary party. It ended up being perfectly successful. Read about it here from my 2013 blog posting: My Gift to The Parentals. It was always a special occasion and my dad always made my mom feel special on this day. I want to keep the tradition going and share this with her today. I love you mom and I know daddy would have been extremely proud to see how strong of a woman you are during these difficult days. The first year is going to be the hardest but we have come so far.
I made a list of why I believe I'm lucky to have the awesome parents that I have.

 

My Parents are awesome because:
1. They really did love each other. They are honest, they are faithful, and they are honorable. They value the bond of marriage and taught me the importance of commitment and respect that marriage entails. Even when times got tough, they never gave up. This is why they were still married before my dad's passing.
2. They lived their lives for themselves before children. I have seen the photos....blackmail material! They created a great bond before having me, so they were ready. My parents waited a few years after marriage before having me. My dad does have children from previous marriages but I was the only child from my mother. She had me at age 34. Amazing huh!?
3. They love children. My parents wanted me, always put me first, taught me how to love, gave me countless experiences, memories, and lessons. Maybe because I was the only child, our relationship was close. My parents lived for me since the day I was born and they still lived for me until my daddy took his last breath. THEN my children weer born! And boy did they fall in love all over again! My children are their world and my daddy was so porud of being "Papu" to my two munchkins. He enjoyed every minute and luckily they were able to experience him while he was alive. They will always carry those memories of him with them forever. It's because my parents are generous, supportive, kind, and loving beyond belief. They aren't perfect, but they are not far from it most of the time.

4.  They are silly. They love being goofballs, farting, my burping, being real about bodily functions, and being natural. My mom much more than my dad of course, but through the years, she rubbed off on him. We are all people and we all poop. They were both in the room for both of my children's births and saw it all. They were also both there when I breastfed openly. It's kinda funny when you think about it.
5.  They didn't spoil me. This isn't who they are. No matter how many people believe "only children" are spoiled, it's a stereotype that I can't get rid of. My dad never boasted or bragged about anything (which taught me to do the same). He worked hard for what he wanted and also taught me success. He was able to retire at 64 and has no debt with all vehicles, houses and property paid for... so props to him! Yes, spoiled is all relative. Some may consider me spoiled, but it all depends on where you come from. They taught me the difference between right and wrong and to not yearn for material possessions. My mom has the BEST taste. She can go into a Palais Royal and come out victorious, she believes in a few nice things every once in a while and so do I.
6. They own their reality and don't care about what other people think. They are authentic and true to themselves. They don't get in the mix of drama with friends or even family. They saved money and live rather modestly, but they have so much more than most of their peers and family, because they didn't fall victim to "keeping up with the Jonenes".... which is the sad reality of most people I know. My parents don't nickel and dime, they believe in fine service and nice experiences, especially vacationing and traveling. Before my dad's passing they always traveled and after their retirement, they were planning trips over seas and into different countries. My mom and I are still going to carry out the plans as my dad would have wanted it that way. We will continue in his honor. Life is too short.
7. They support me no matter what.  I tripped, stumbled, and fell many times growing up and through my college and rebellious years. Literally and figuratively, but I always had unconditional support and guidance from them. Even when I became a young mother, although disappointed to an extent because it was so early on in my life, they were still indeed very happy and excited to be grandparents. They knew I could do it. They knew I could balance life because they believed I could. They were extremely supportive and because of that, I am now in an awesome place; master's degree, two children, a house and love. I owe all of my good fortune to my parents. Unconditional love and support speaks volumes towards success.
8. They are smart.  My dad retired from Maxwell House with 44 years with the company! Amazing. And my mom retired from Houston Independent School District with 40 years at the same school and same grade. Talk about stability! They lived full lives, traveled, expanded their worlds. They are open minded in most ways. And I am following in their footsteps.
9. They are good people. They care about others more than themselves. They do things they don't want to do all the time just because it is the right thing to do. They are the people that other people depend on. My dad was always the go to person and the pillar in his family. My mom is now the oldest of her sisters and is the leader. They do the daily tasks and favors that most people won't do or involve themselves in. They understand that "it's only money", that "every day is a new day", and that "God works out all things for good." They are grounded in Christ and level headed. 

10.  They are my parents. They understand me. They are the one's who molded me into the person I have become. I long for success as they did. God knew what he was doing when he gave me my parents. From the day I was born, I was a happy child. I loved growing up with them. I can truly say that I was blessed to have had my daddy in my life for the 27 years I did. He loved and enjoyed fatherhood and mostly, being a grandfather. My kids were his life. They truly miss him everyday with every breathe they take. He was their hero. It may seem cliche, BUT it's not. He was who they looked up to, who they admired and who they will never forget. Although I wish we had him longer, God knows what he is doing and I know we will soon see him again.

THANK YOU MOM & DAD FOR ALWAYS BEING AWESOME!
I WILL ALWAYS BE GRATEFUL!

HAPPY 31st ANNIVERSARY
I  LOVE AND MISS YOU DADDY SO VERY MUCH!


 
Retirement Party/ June 15, 2013

This picture was taken only 1 month before he was diagnosed with Stage IV Lymphoma Cancer and just 3 months before his passing on November 4, 2013. We love you daddy.

Comments

Popular Posts