Father's Day... Not like Any other.

It’s Father’s Day and I miss my Daddy so very much. I’ve been dreading all the “firsts” since he died but this one’s definitely one of the hardest. All the school events he wasn't able to attend, all the extracurricular activities he wasn't able to video record, all the special acknowledgments he wasn't here for, and all the future one's he will miss (like my birthday), is a tough pill to swallow. But you know what truly keeps me going? GOD. Only he gives me the strength to keep going.   
 
I decided to call all his friends days before as well as today for comfort. They agreed to stay in contact with me and encouraged me to contact them whenever I needed. I loved hearing stories from my Dad's friends as they truly knew who he was as a person and enjoyed sharing their memories with me. Each story was like a hug from a friend or a hug from my Daddy, as stories generated a personal memory of him. With each story, I’d hear about the many wonderful attributes that made him: integrity, humbleness, empathy, vision, courage, passion, intelligence, the love for Christ and most importantly, the love for his family.
I never imagined I would be writing this today. Just last year on this very day I was throwing a retirement/anniversary party for my parents and "My Gift to the Parentals" was written. Today Father's Day is not like any other before. I will always carry my daddy in my heart and treasure him forever because I know he would have wanted that. I know he knows that he was my main man, my main squeeze and my father til the end. I am happy to say that he is not suffering anymore and watching proudly down on me, my mom and his grandbabies.  

For those who have lost their father, here's an idea to do with your kids every year. Huddle up with them tonight and videotape them telling their favorite story about their Grandpa. Save it and as they grow older share the experiences on Father’s Day and as the collection grows, they can keep it for when they have children of their own.

Love you daddy. Happy Father's Day!!!

Comments

Popular Posts