I Love Lucy. Why laughing is good for you and your kids.

There are days when it's difficult to find the energy to 'have fun'. 
Today is that day. I am sitting here on a Sunday enjoying doing absolutely nothing. When have I had the chance to do this? Aside from working full-time, attending school full-time and being a mother full-time, I don't really get the chance to just lounge around in my PJ's at 4:00pm being lazy. 
Today I did and all I can think about is my dad. This month is going to be the hardest. My parents anniversary passed on the 2nd, Father's day is on the 15th (the same day i threw my parents a retirement/anniversary party), and the 19th is my birthday. 
I'm not really the type to sulk and write about it but today, I truly need to let it out. I lay here thinking about all the fun times we shared when I was just a kiddo. My daughter felt I was going through something and came to lay beside me. Little did I know, she too was missing him. We talked about the fun times we had and as the TV was on in the background, the channel (magically) changed to "I Love Lucy!" Seriously it was creepy, because this was one of my dad's favorite shows. I grew up watching black and white movies and love them to this day. I noticed they were playing her episodes all day, so we began watching the first one and could not stop laughing!
Laughter is infectious. Laughing together is a way to connect... it's good for the soul, it's good for your health, but most of all, it's just all around fun. Lord knows we needed it and what better way to do it then watch Lucy. I can definitely say laughter is without question the most powerful medicine available. It got me out of my funk and never thought we could laugh as hard as we did

5 Reasons Why Laughter Is the Best Medicine

1. God loves it. I believe that God loves to see us laugh. When I was younger, I saw Christian comedian and singer Mark Lowry in concert. I bought one of his books, and in it he talks about God and humor. Something I read has stuck with me to this day. Explaining why he thinks God enjoys seeing us laugh, he said, “What healthy father doesn’t love to hear his children laugh?” While there are certainly times to get serious, I believe God enjoys hearing laughter in the middle of fellowship.
2. It keeps us healthy. God  made laughing good for us. Research shows that laughter plays an important role in both physical and mental health. According to HelpGuide.org, laughing helps boost immunity, decrease pain, lower stress, relax mood, and ease anxiety.
3. It can help us learn. We all learn and remember more when there is an emotional attachment  to a lesson. Think back on your life. The times you recall the quickest
are probably times you were laughing or crying. The American Psychological Association also says that laughter can lead to better learning. Although the APA says it’s possible to overdo it, your lessons will stick with your kids better if they are having fun.
4. It can bridge gaps. Sometimes the shortest distance between two people is a joke. Members of the Christian Comedy Association know that, and many of their members present faith-based truths in a form that can reach people in a unique, inviting way. They use laughter as a tool, and so can you.
5. It keeps life in perspective. HelpGuide.org also brings up this point. When a problem comes your way, how do you handle it? Don’t stress, lighten up! Ask yourself if it is really that bad and worth getting upset over.  Breathe, laugh, and look at the problem as an
opportunity. A good sense of humor will help you keep going and keep your team from stressing.
This is just something to think about especially if you have ever been in my situation where you want to do absolutely nothing but know you need to find a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Comments

Popular Posts