10 Ways I've Changed Since I Became a Mom.

“You’ll never be the same again.”
“Your life is about to change drastically.”
“You have no idea what you’re getting in to. Are you ready for that?”
These are amongst many things every (older) person (male/female) said to me when I became pregnant with my first child M, and these things weren’t at all said in a positive manner. And they're right! I agree with those statement! I am a very different person since having my first child as well as my second child... almost eight years changed!
Becoming someone's mommy meant that my role in the world had changed all together. I wasn't just the same old me trying to be a new, improved version. I was a mother, really and truly and forever, and the question was, what kind of person, what kind of mother, would be reflected in my child's eyes?

1. I am diligent. I’ve always been kind of a procrastinator but my children seem to have brought on a crazy new era of productivity in my life. Gone are the days when I could live life on my own schedule. Now I have two young lives to manage, and they need me to work for them. All. Day. Long. And the amazing thing is--I do!

2. I am stronger emotionally. Children depend on you for their emotional strength. I’ve realized this numerous times when dealing with illnesses, injuries, temper tantrums and most recently... Death. My kids need me to handle things gracefully, so I’ve learned to do so most of the time. I've discovered an inner strength I never thought I had.

3. I have a classic style. I wear 4" heels everyday to work and my style has just become a bit more classic. Who says that being a mom you can't be in fashion? Except on the weekends I break free and default to wearing the stylish little flats or flat black knee high boots. I wear skinny's and a fitted shirt. Although I wear the above most times, I also like to wear Nike's and gym clothes.

4. I am extremely patient. I have worked harder to be more patient, thoughtful, caring & gentle. I am not always successful at those, but I am better than I used to be. Patience is truly a virtue in my book and when you have a child or two or three or more... you will need all the patience you can get. I've learned your children model your behaviors and this is a very important quality I want them to aquire.

5. I love life more. I just plain love life more... everything comes together and becomes better because of one tiny person and my love for them. Motherhood is not a job, it's an adventure. It's not always easy or fun but it is worth it and because of that it's extremely rewarding.

6. I am more understanding. I give parents with a screaming child an 'I-know-the-feeling' look instead of a 'Can't-they-shut-him-up?' one. I understand now. I too am a parent with a screaming child at times that I have to put in time out or drank in public. I get it and only will us as parents get it.

7. I am more spontaneous. Lately, I find myself more likely to live day-to-day, moment-to-moment. I have always been one who "plans" things ahead of time, however, after having children, you need to know, not everything will go as planned. To me being more spontaneous is enjoying a "let's go have a picnic at the park day", or "let's stay in and watch Disney movies all day". The kid in you, just comes out and that's ok.

8. I believe in myself more. After I announced I was pregnant with M, my first, everyone doubted me. They believed I would not finish college. They believed I would be the stereotype of all stereotypes because I was a young mother. Well, not quite true. I believed in myself so much after having my daughter, that she pushed me to do better... for her. I finished my undergrad, certified in CPS and motivational speaker for young mothers/students and am currently graduating with my Masters this year. because I believed, I am now an inspiration.

9. I am more cautious. Since I became a mother, I have this protective shield that I can't get rid of. It's a part of me now and I'm ok with that. Not one parent one me about this, I just picked it up on my own. Having a child means it's no longer just about you. It's about responsibility. It's about putting someone else first before you. My heart beats outside of my body every day and I now think twice before I do something.

10. I am more independent. Now that I have two children to care for, I need to take full responsibility. I don't need help from anyone and I don't need pity. I am their mother and they are my children. Before they came into my life I was more dependent on my parents and others. But now, my perspective on independence has changed. I am not the mother who needs someone with me 24/7 caring for my children. I can do it on my own.



Motherhood has changed my ways of thinking and thought processes. Truly, I cannot imagine what my life would be like had I NOT had a child/ren. They are a part of me and who I am. It is the most rewarding, awful, beautiful, heartbreaking, awesome, horrible, joyous thing imaginable in this world, and I wouldn't change a thing. 
Time has become a precious commodity, and risk-taking has become more risky. Thankfully, my instincts have sharpened, and my spirit has strengthened. I feel blessed and challenged as a mother and most importantly... I am Loved!

Comments

Popular Posts