College Mommy: Work, Study and Motherhood.

A lot of people think that being a mother is easy breezy fasheeezy, but most of the time, it's all a lie. Add to that a 40-hour work week and you’ve got a mommy who is still standing by the end of a full work day. But wait, there’s more... Her day doesn’t end there just yet! This would be me... Yessss, little 'ole me.
After work, I get home, and still have a routine to tend too. Children, husband/boyfriend, mother, pets... even if I don’t have to cook, my kiddos want my undivided attention all the time from the moment I walk in from work to the moment I lay them down for bed. They want to share their days and express their needs and wants. It’s a never ending cycle we call motherhood and to add to it, take on full-time employment and school!
So… As a mother, a young mother that is, does that make you completely crazy to take on school too on top of all the hectic life motherhood has to offer? Some might scream “ABSOLUTELY IT DOES!!!”, but in my crazy little opinion, it really doesn’t. I guess I want the challenge. I see it as though my children are my inspiration.
This Saturday I had to not only study for a major midterm... but I had to write a research paper... conduct a clinical interview and type the responses and assessment given and read/prepare for the chapters for the next class. Whew. I did not have a weekend. I spent all morning studying hardcore while the kiddos were still sleeping. As soon as they woke up I continued to do school work (clinical interview paper). After hours of that, I decided, "hey, it's time to take a break and take them to the park". Just because I was studying all day, doesn't mean they have to sit in the house with us being bored. We spontaneously decided to make it a picnic/play day at Hermann Park! While they played, I studied. Then I took a break and played with them :-) 
How do I do it? Here are a few important tips I live by on how I take on motherhood, work and school all together. It's very easy to adjust this into your everyday life as a mommy. Try it:

I have learned to breathe and take it slow. School is a way of "getting away", a peace and quiet that can often turn into an overwhelming load of stress if you don't know how to balance and handle it. 
If you don't do this college mommy's, you will make yourself go insane. Yes, I have been there and never want to go back but it has also brought me to where I am now. Making time for myself also helps me through the day; whether it be mani-pedi appts, spending time with friends for a few hours or even a sit in the car alone for a bit contemplating about whatever. 

Always make time for your children. Through the sleepless nights and the long hours of studying for midterms, class assignments and presentations, the time you took away from your children is still needed to fit into another time. They yearn for your attention and love, making time for them shouldn't be that difficult. Push your books aside for a few hours or even a day and relax with them. Show them no matter how hard you work all day at your day job and how many hours you put into night school and your school work, your time with them is still special. My kiddos love this. Even if it's not going out on an outing (hence: the zoo, park, museum...etc), just cuddling and watching movies is the quality time that you spend with them that counts and they will remember it always. Especially when they realize you are doing all of this to begin with for them anyways.

Trust me mommy's, we can do anything we set our minds too. Whatever it is, we can do it. Let your kiddos be your inspiration. It will keep you going. Don't be intimidated, you might surprise yourself. I surely did! Super mom is your new name! So go get 'em! 

Comments

Popular Posts