I think I can. I think I can.

"How do you juggle graduate school, a career and a family?" 
This is a question I get most often. 
Let me tell you. It isn't easy. Graduate school is hard enough as it is and throwing in a career and family is just suicide! Well, it's not that impossible to manage but it is a lot of effort and hard work. I am the kind who doesn't give up. If I don't have a challenge, I keep going for it. Call me crazy but it's true. 
The key to maintaining this balance is to have great time management skills and complete organization. You will need these tools for graduate school anyways, but as a parent or employee you have many more responsibilities to take care of than say, the single grad student whose full-time job is graduate school. In addition, finding a family friendly graduate school that understands and appreciates your special needs can be paramount to a successful graduate school career. There may not seem like there are any out there but there are. Houston Baptist University is pretty good with this. All my professors are wonderful at understanding the situation. I just try not to make excuses either. DON"T take advantage of this as it will eat you up. Many times people ask, "how I do it all." My kiddos are happy and healthy; I have a job I am great at, and a wonderful support system. The answer is simple; I just take it day by day and live off of three simple rules that maintain balance in my life in school and at home:
Here are some tips I use:
  • Try to arrange your courses so that you only have to commute to campus once or twice a day. I only attend twice a week as the classroom hours and lectures may be longer, but it's more convenient being it's right after work and not the entire week away from my family. It makes it easier in which I don't miss school events, practices, or date nights.
  • You need a support system; family, spouse, children and even your boss need to understand why you are doing this. When they are all in congruence, it's more easier for you and stress isn't poured on you like water. Knowing they are there to support is a breathe of fresh air. Nothing in the world is more relaxing then knowing your own family/friends are in it to win it with you.
  • Get in sync with yourself. Why are you doing this to begin with? There will be times when you feel like giving up, but DON'T. I can tell you from experience there were/are many times I feel overwhelmed and feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel, but I catch myself and realize, "I'm here for a reason and the reason is why I'm here." Make sense?
Without them my life would be a mess and everyone in it would be miserable. It is all based on my priorities. My family always comes first. My education comes second. My work comes last. My life is constant. There's never a day where I am able to just unwind and break free. And I like it that way. Don't get me wrong, I do take time for myself; pedicure, girls night, take a drive, or take a day off but even then, I'm still on the go too. 
Another important key is to stay healthy. I work out when I get the chance and eat right. I love green juice! Staying healthy helps maintain a healthy mental state. I also try to think positive at all times. I like to keep everyone around me enthusiastic and happy. I love people and am very happily surrounded by my family, friends, co-workers and classmates. I think I can. I think I can. Wait... I know I can!
 

Comments

Popular Posts