Why my son's hair is long and I'm ok with it.

Let it grow, I say. He’s got his whole life to worry about his hair.  
My son's hair is super dark and mid length with long curls, that make him stand out from the crowd. He is so gorgeous! And not because he's my son, but because he really is!
“You need to cut his hair! He’s a BOY!” My reply to this especially to strangers who call my HE a SHE, is extremely funny when they realize they're assuming his gender. It happens on a fairly regular basis. 
Stranger: Oh, isn’t she just the cutest thing???
Me: Thank you! HE is pretty handsome isn't he?!
This is usually followed by something like, “Oh, sorry!!!"
I don't think there is any way boys "should" have their haircut, it is a personal preference. I get this all the time, from family, friends and strangers. He even gets this at school from his classmates. He comes home to tell me that two boys called him a girl... So I ask him if he wants to cut his hair. He is always quick to answer and immediately responds "NO!" "I don't care, I like my hair mommy. As long as you like it and you think it looks good." Of course my response is, "I sure do baby. I like your hair anyway you like it. You're mommy's handsome little boy!" He is full of smiles.
If I don’t let him express himself now, can you imagine what kind of challenge this could be in future? It won’t be hair, either. It will be something that’s actually important. I should be molding and shaping him, not stifling him. We took him to get a "trim" NOT a hair cut. His bangs are always getting in his way and because he has curls, they curl up at the front leaving a messy look. When straightened they go over his face. Other than that, he will keep his hair this length or longer for as long as he wants or until HE decides to cut it all off. (*crossing my fingers that will never happen*)

Comments

Popular Posts