14 Things I Wish I Knew Before College...

Tonight is the HOUSTON NATIONAL COLLEGE FAIR at Reliant Center where I will speak on behalf of those who don't believe they have a chance, for those who just don't know what to expect from college and for those who think they will may not succeed.
​Location:
Reliant Center
Exhibit Halls A1 & A3
One Reliant Park
Houston, TX 77054
832/667-1400

Fair Hours:
Thursday, February 13, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
& 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

I came across this article and it spoke to me. If I would have known what I know now, the first years of college and what it really wasn't, I would have been a lot more free. Even now that I know, it seems as though it is never enough for me... but I continue to keep enrolling myself in higher education classes. Unlike many college students/graduates, I have children. Are my kiddos the cause of this never ending education I call "success"? In the end, I know the answer. It is them. I have to give it to my children. They are the reason for my never ending, never give up mentality. They are the reason for everything. The legacy I want to leave them is greater than education, but it in my eyes, it begins with that. The full article is a click away but I give my own insight on it as well, a young college mother's perspective. 

1. You’re not special

Tis true. Going into college, the first thing that came to mind was everything was going to be the same like high school. I was prepared to graze through my years with no problems in the world. Then I became pregnant with our first child. I still wasn't special. Instead, I was the talk around campus. I felt as though I was the only pregnant person in the school (2005). Attending classes with a belly and actually taking my education seriously had people talking. Especially when the same people I started with, I either graduated with or I finished and they didn't. Unbelievable to most.

2. It’s hard being far away from home

I was accepted to the three main colleges I applied for; Sam Houston State University, University of Southern California and University of Houston. I decided not to travel so far from home and opted for Sam Houston State as it was only an hour a way. Well, that didn't happen either. My parents begged me to stay. I changed my mind at the last minute and decided closer to home wouldn't be so bad. What more than being close to my friends and family... Then a year later, Mykaila was conceived. This is when I say, everything happens for a reason, you see.

3. Classes can be challenging

You think it's like high school? Well, once you complete your 64 + hours in general studies and you begin your next two years in your specific concentration, I truly believe it gets more fun and interesting. Difficulty is good and I love a challenge and boy I'm still living the challenge today.

4. You don’t need to drink to have fun

This really doesn't apply to me. I was always a book worm. When it came to college, since I was home, I worked a full-time job and attended school full-time, I really didn't have time for partying. Then again, I became a mother the second year of college.

5. Making real friends takes time  

I make friends fairly easy. And when in college, you learn to adapt. Group presentations, speeches, power-points etc... it prepares you for knowing who your true "college" "classmates"( friends) are. I'm sure you know what I mean, especially when it comes to the lazy ones. I was always the one to do the presentations and group work. I truly believe some people took advantage of it especially after having a few follow you asking what classes you were taking each semester so they could pair up with you... ugh... not good. 

6. Go to your professor’s office hours

I made friends with all my professor's. The first year I didn't bother taking down their numbers but when a major assignment or project came around and your partner didn't take it as serious as you did and/or you miss class and need an excuse, there phone number is no where to be found. The first day of class my next semester, I took down their email, cell number and office number. That never happened again.

7. Reread #6

8. Dating doesn’t happen as often as the movies portray

College and dating. Ha. Definitely not like the movies. I was already in a relationship with my children's father so that was not an option.But for those of you who are not in a relationship, try more to focus on school. Because once you get sidetracked, you can't go back.

9. You lose touch with people you think you will always be friends with

This is true to an extent. Many of my friends went to college after high school. The bad part about it was, we all went separate directions, to different colleges. I had to learn what being independent in school was. I was so used to having all of my friends around. Having the same classes together and working on group presentations that we would have fun presenting to our peers. BUT walking into a college setting with different people you don't even know, different teachers you now call professors, different schedules that are no longer high school classes, in a completely different environment was very surreal. You have to adapt and you have to make new friends that you hope will last through your two years of general studies if not through all your four years.

10. Don’t judge a person by their Facebook profile

No comment.  

11. Tours purposely show the newest, cleanest, and best dorm rooms

I didn't stay in a dorm myself as the University was close to my house however I met my best friend in a class and she came from Dallas. She lived in the dorm at University of Houston and because we had classes together, we would meet there as a meeting place and work on homework/projects/presentations. It wasn't the nicest, cleanest best dorm you see on television.

12. Transferring schools is not the end of the world

I transferred colleges twice. From Sam Houston State University to University of Houston. It's ok. If you are worried about it, talk with your adviser and college counselor, they will be able to guide you in the right direction. All hours you received are transferable as long as they are from an accredited University.

13. Everyone changes their major

I believe we all do. It's a part of becoming an adult. You think you know what you want to be when you grow up, but while attending classes and learning that particular subject, you realize you really don't want to be that when you grow up. You realize you want to do something different. Maybe better for you? Family? Life? Or maybe you want more of a challenge? For me, it was both. Because I became pregnant at an early age while in college, my major had to change. I no longer had the urge to get a degree in criminal justice for the FBI. I now am doing what I enjoy, it's safe and I get to spend quality time with my family as needed. 

14. College is about making mistakes

Last but not least, make mistakes. Have fun. College will be your funnest years. Regardless if you are a young parent while going through college with a child by your side, single parent, working class or just an average college student, college will always be something you will fall back on. You can only make so many mistakes and right so many rights while going through the process. It is there to shape you and make you be the successful person you desire to be in the future, "when you grow up."

Comments

Popular Posts