Rewarding a job well done

Being a mom can be quite challenging but it's one of the most rewarding jobs you could ever have. Now a days our children accomplish so many things. I am blessed to say that my own children make me proud everyday. I always seem to praise my children when they accomplish something challenging or new. Offering a reward to your child for good behavior can be a powerful motivator. The reward signals your appreciation and validates your child’s achievement. Of course, there is debate around whether or not it’s best to reward your child for a job well done, questioning whether or not a child will strive to achieve without a reward. But offering rewards is just one way to provide your child with positive feedback, admiration and recognition... all of which are necessary to help your child develop a healthy sense of self-esteem.
My children's last day was yesterday and we received a surprise to kick off our summer. My daughter WON the Reading Competition for her school! She had to read a number of books throughout the Spring semester of school, chart them and then not only write a summary of the book and its meaning but give an oral explanation of why she picked the book, who the author was and give a short synopsis of them all. With that being said, we picked up two sets of a family for four to visit Schliterbahn Galveston and Fiesta Texas over the summer vacation! Good job M! We definitely needed these. We were super ecstatic and proud to say we have a winner! Her brother didn't feel quite left out as they named his ticket and he saw that he was rewarded with one too. However, he was also rewarded with a Pre-Kindergarden certification of completion. For that, we decided to take them to see Maleficent as a last day of school reward for a job well done! Pretty good Disney movie if I say so myself.



The simplest thing like the rewards above that can get me through another day of wishing my daddy was here beside me with his video camera cheering them on and taking them for summer vacations, is a smile of silliness from my children. They are a constant reminder of why I do what I do and why my daddy taught me that no matter what we will see him again soon.

Comments

Popular Posts